Is a Heating Tune-Up Worth It?
In Dallas-Fort Worth winters, the temperature rarely dips below freezing. You need a gas or electric furnace or heat pump to keep warm in winter, but your heater isn’t working that hard, so do you really need annual heating maintenance?
Yes, you do. Furnace maintenance isn’t about how much you use the heating system but about ensuring the system is ready when needed. And if you schedule that heating tune-up once a year, you’ll enjoy a list of additional benefits.
Why Is Annual Heating Maintenance Necessary?
You should schedule a furnace tune-up every fall before the weather turns too cold. This recommendation doesn’t just come from home service companies. HVAC manufacturers also recommend routine tune-ups for heating and cooling systems.
Furthermore, most system warranties have terms that require annual maintenance. If you don’t keep up with tune-ups, you likely won’t be covered if your heating system needs repairs or premature replacement.
Other reasons you should schedule a heating tune-up include:
- More comfort: A well-maintained furnace or heat pump will produce more heat, better air quality, and a better humidity balance.
- Longer service life: Maintenance ensures your heating system operates at peak performance year after year. This reduces the wear and tear that will otherwise occur without professional service.
- Reduced energy usage: When your heater operates at peak performance, it’s more efficient. Damaged and ill-maintained HVAC systems suffer more wear and tear, drawing more energy to deliver the comfort you need.
- Lower utility costs: Energy efficiency benefits the environment and your wallet. By saving energy, you also save on your utility bills.
- Greater reliability: Routine heating maintenance means problems are caught and fixed early, so you are less likely to need emergency repairs for system breakdowns.
What’s Included in a Heating Tune-Up?
To ensure efficient furnace performance and reliable comfort, you need annual heating tune-ups by qualified professionals. Standard furnace maintenance includes:
- Checking thermostat settings and recalibrating if needed
- Tightening electrical connections and measuring the voltage and current
- Lubricating all the moving parts
- Inspecting the system controls to make sure they work and work safely
- Checking whether the heater starts, runs, and shuts off properly
- Flushing the condensate drain
- Checking the gas connection and pressure
- Inspecting and cleaning the burner
- Inspecting the heat exchanger for damage
- Adjusting the pilot light
Can I Maintain My Heating System Myself?
Perhaps you’re a handy person who’d like to take care of furnace tune-ups yourself. If so, understand that you still need professional heating maintenance once a year, even if you complete some tasks yourself.
You can and should:
Replace Your Filter
Everyone should stay on top of this task. Changing your filter isn’t difficult, and you should do it at least every three months.
Make sure the air filter is clean when the heating season starts, and change your filter monthly if you suffer from respiratory illness or have pets in the home.
Clean Around the Unit
Dirt, dust, and debris accumulate on your furnace during the spring and summer. Clean the area around your heating system to avoid musty odors, ensure proper airflow, and reduce fire hazards.
If you have a heat pump, clean the twigs and debris off of your outdoor unit as well.
Inspect Your Unit
Periodically check your system for any signs of malfunction or physical damage, even if it’s a slight decrease in comfort and a rise in energy bills.
This will help your HVAC technician recognize and resolve your heating issues.
Trust AirCo for Heating Maintenance in Dallas-Fort Worth
For over 20 years, AirCo has provided service-guaranteed heating and cooling maintenance in the DFW Metroplex.
To ensure you never forget about annual maintenance, consider enrolling in our All-Star Club for:
- Two annual maintenance visits
- Priority scheduling
- Discounts on repairs and accessories
- A lifetime repair guarantee
- A VIP phone number direct to the Customer Experience Team
- And more!
Reach out to AirCo today to schedule your yearly heating maintenance appointment! Call (817) 591-1225 or get in touch online!
Your Neighbors Trust Our Expertise
“Fabulous service and the BEST people! The people are stellar!”